Study Medicine in Latvia – Medicine Admission – Foundation / Preparatory Course
1. Overview of Preparatory Courses
Preparatory courses for medicine in Latvia aim to equip students with the foundational knowledge necessary to undertake a medical degree program. These courses usually last one academic year and focus on key subjects like Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. Some programs may also offer language classes, primarily in English and Latvian, to help international students prepare for studying in Latvia.
2. Entry Requirements
The general entry requirements for preparatory courses in Latvia include:
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- Basic knowledge of Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.
- Proficiency in English (as most courses are taught in English).
3. Application Process
The application process for preparatory courses typically involves:
- Completing the application form provided by the university.
- Submitting copies of your high school diploma and academic transcripts, passport, and a medical certificate attesting to your fitness for university study.
- If the course is not in English, you may need to provide proof of language proficiency.
Please note: Each university may have slightly different requirements, so it’s important to check the specific requirements of the university you are applying to.
4. After the Preparatory Course
Upon successful completion of the preparatory course, students will be eligible to apply for the medical degree program. However, it’s important to note that completion of the preparatory course does not guarantee admission into the medical program. You will still need to meet the entry requirements of the medical program, which often includes passing an entrance exam.
Here are some universities in Latvia known to offer preparatory courses for medical studies:
- University of Latvia, Faculty of Medicine: https://www.lu.lv/eng/faculties/medical/, Phone: +371 67034492
- Riga Stradins University: https://www.rsu.lv/en, Phone: +371 67409111
Always contact the university directly to get the most accurate and updated information.